TROPEA




Recently, I was in Tropea, Italy. On the tip of the toe, opposite Sicily.
The place in which I stayed overlooked a monastery that sits above the sea. It feels odd to me to see robed monks going about everyday activities, probably because monks are an endangered species in England. And the sight of them was made stranger as my book of choice happened to be In The Name of the Rose, essentially a murder mystery set in a 14th century monastery. 
Anyway, I didn't draw the monastery. This view is looking the other way, showing the houses built right up to the cliff edge, or the cliff erosion makes it appear this way. Some seem like they've been sculpted from the rock. Of course, it could be anywhere by the time I finished with it, but having read this you can say 'ah, that's Tropea, right there'.

No comments:

Post a Comment